Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Dear Diary

I've been blogging for nearly a week now, and in that time I've looked at many other blogs, both on Blogger and BlogExplosion. I have also followed political blogs for some time now. I've tried to get an idea of what to do, what not to do, and what blogging is all about in general. I read this the other day that offers some good advice, I think. Here are some of my own thoughts:

Blogging is a powerful new medium of expression. You can blog about news, politics, sports, music, even video games. It is a remarkable outlet for the thoughts and opinions of people which didn't exist a few short years ago. However, I have seen one facet of blogging that is distressing to me. A blog as a personal diary.

In a way, I think the anonymity of the internet makes it easy to forget that what we blog about is read by countless other people. This has already created problems for people who blog about work and then fall afoul of the boss for doing so. Using a blog to air your mind of your most troubling thoughts and feelings may seem therapeutic, but like a secret diary, the danger is that more people than your little brother will take a look at it. The snipe about that girl at work who aggravates you simply by existing? She may see it. The rant in which you call your hubby every nasty name in the book? Hope you like the doghouse, 'cause that's where you'll be sleeping the next few days. You see, a diary blog has the same weakness that a hardbound diary has: you're gossiping with yourself and whomever happens to read it. Like any gossip, you don't want it to get back to the person you're gossiping about, lest more pain ensue than that which prompted the rant in the first place. But how do I vent my frustrations, you ask, if my blog is supposed to be nothing but happy mush?

Rather than gossip with yourself or your cyber neighbor, why not tell your feelings to someone who actually cares and can do something to change them? God. Rather than pour forth venom on your keyboard, take your troubles to God in prayer, and ask him how you can deal with the hurt you feel and the anger and bitterness. He will listen, and he can make it better through his wisdom and grace. I think the Bible's advice applies in the blogosphere as much as it does in personal relationships, so I'll leave you with this:

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18.