Friday, July 6, 2007

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

Did you know that Mr. Rogers corrupted a generation of young people and turned them into narcissistic whiners? Yes, friends, the dirty truth is here.

It's sad, really, that this is the first thought that came into the professor's mind. It is indicative of our society today that they look for any outside influence to blame for a problem, instead of looking close to home. These kids feel a sense of entitlement not because of Mr. Rogers, but because their parents (interestingly, probably part of the professor's generation) have made them so. Many parents the last several years have bought into the notion that you are supposed to foster your child's sense of self worth, thereby growing them into strong, confident adults. I think the opposite has happened, because these parents have tried to become their kids' friends and cheerleaders, as well as protecting them from anything unpleasant.

This is a dangerous method of parenting. A parent is the authority figure, responsible for teaching children right from wrong, and peparing them for adulthood. The Bible is very clear on this. In Proverbs it says to teach your child the way he should go, and when he is older he will not turn from it. My children are a joy, and I want them to love me as much as I love them. But I want them to also know that I am the boss. They understand that they don't always get their way, and that though I will provide them with food and shelter, and do my best to protect them from harm, I won't shield them from all unpleasantness, particularly of their own doing. That's what my family did with me; that's how you build a strong and confident adult.