Monday, July 16, 2007

An Empty Space is Filled.

This was posted on Hot Air a few days ago while I was on vacation. I think it is interesting that it has not been given much play in the media, and as the post states, was buried in the Wall Street Journal.

It is not surprising to me that there is a resurgence of Christianity in Europe, particularly charismatic, evangelical Christianity. It has been more than a decade since I travelled through Europe, but I remember well the deep-seated sense of spirituality I noticed in the people I met. The rise of secularism in Europe could have only led to this. There is a deep need in all of us to know God, an empty space in our hearts. Many of us, whether we grew up in a Christian home or not, seek to fill that space with other things, such as money, sex, drugs, or false religions. We soon find that though these things gratify us, they do not fulfill and satisfy us.

The Bible is clear: only Jesus can bridge the gap between us and God, and only He can fill that empty space inside of us. I suspect that many Europeans are finding this out, and are turning away from secularism. Thank God for that.